Level: All Levels
Time: Saturday All Day
8:30 - 11:30AM & 2:00-5:00 PM
Price: $67.50 / $90.00
Contact Teacher: Susan.QuiltOn@gmail.com
Kit Fee: $20 (optional)
Class Description: Piped bindings add spark and a professional finish to any style piece. Every detail of binding and tiny perfect piping will be covered in class with step-by-step demos and printed instructions. Machine differences will be addressed so students will be successful with their own machines. Students work on their practice piece to achieve making perfect piping, preparing the quilt, applying piping, applying binding,
mitering corners, joining tails, and finishing for a show-quality back. Variations will be on display and discussed. Many major award-winners are using this technique to achieve stunning results!
Class Supply List:Fabric/thread:
- 13”x 13”fabric for quilt top, may be a cheater block ... Please starch and press before class.
- 14”x 14”fabric for backing ... Please starch and press before class.
- 14”x 14”thin cotton batting
- 1 1/4”(1.25”) bias strips adding up to at least 70” for piping ... High contrast to quilt top and binding ... If cutting bias is new to you, wait for class
- 2 1/2”(2.5”) straight of grain strips adding up to at least 70”for binding ... May be same as quilt top.
- NOTE: There’s no need to splice piping or binding strips before class. Susan has some tips to share!
- 60”of 1/16”cording for piping will be provided free of charge
- 2 filled bobbins of different thread. One should contrast with quilt backing.
- Thread to coordinate with piping fabric but with a little contrast so it can be seen on piping fabric.
- Thread to coordinate with binding fabric.
- Piping Hot Binding kit is an optional purchase available in class for $20. Piping Hot Binding kit includes a booklet, Groovin’ Piping Trimming Tool, and 5 yds cording. It does NOT contain fabric.
- Sewing machine, fresh needle, bobbin, bed extension (if you have one), sewing machine manual. A machine with adjustable needle positions is desirable. Slotted needle plate for your machine (not single hole needle plate) If you have no idea what this is, you’re probably OK.
- Walking (or even-feed) foot if you have one
- Foot with a small groove or grooves in the bottom from toe to heel (highly recommended) for making piping OR zipper foot. These are some that might work: mini piping foot, pearl/bead foot-2mm, pintuck foot, corded buttonhole foot, satin stitch applique foot. Pfaff: narrow piping foot, Bernina: foot #23 or #3, Viking: foot C or mini piping foot, Janome: small beading foot, Baby Lock: mini piping foot, Elna: pearl/bead foot-2mm. Please choose a foot specific for your machine.
- Open-toe foot ... important
- Rotary cutting mat...at least 18”and cutter (may be shared)
- 6”ruler or other small ruler
- Small scissors
- Seam ripper, stiletto (optional)
- Post-it note pad (about 10 sheets of any size as a guide on the machine)
- Masking or painter’s tape (any width)
- Pencil or marker to show up on quilt top (does not need to be removable)
- Pencil for note taking
- Bag for scraps/threads
- Extension cord
Students may wish to quilt layers prior to class but quilting is not required. This is a sample piece, not a masterpiece! On a real project the quilt would be quilted before applying piping/binding but it’s OK to skip this for class. Simple is fine. Don’t square up piece or trim away extra batting and backing before class, please.