Note: MJ will bring basic freezer paper templates for members to use. However, if students wish to purchase their own, they can do so by purchasing it at their local grocery store OR from Amazon. The freezer paper should be 18-inches wide.
-18-inch ruler & Small ruler with a 1/4-inch measurement
- 6-8 business-size envelopes
- Domestic sewing machine and thread assortment (neutrals or colors that match your fabrics)
- Scissors and rotary cutting tools (cutter and mat) Bring 2 rotary cutters if you want to cut paper with one and your fabric with another.
- Iron and ironing pad (or board)
- Fabric: Cotton solids or gradients. Let's keep it simple and bring one or two colors but include a range of values within each color. This project works best when you have a very dark value, a very light value, and a range of 2 or 3 medium values. White and black also work well to bump up the -bling- in your gem.
MJ Kinmans passion is creating quilts inspired by beautiful gems. The key is freezer paper and MJ is delighted to share her technique with students via in-person and virtual classes.
MJs work has been exhibited at the National Quilt Museum, the International Quilt Museum, the New England Quilt Museum, Quilt Festival (Houston, TX), Quilt Week (Paducah, KY), and Festival of Quilts (Birmingham, UK). Her work is included in collections as varied as Makers Mark Distillery, the National Quilt Museum (Paducah, KY) and the International Quilt Museum (Lincoln, NE), plus many private collections around the United States.
MJs popular Birthstone Series patterns feature traditional birthstone gems, and her Diamond Divas Series offer large, artistic quilts easily customizable by makers. Her first book, Gemstone Quilts, was released by C&T Publishing in 2020.